Thursday, December 15, 2011

Do you feel that there is a bias against childless couples?

Do you feel the world has a bias against couples who have no plans on ever having children? This will encompass everything from health care, family expectations, social expectations, government assistance etc. If not do you feel there is more of a bias against families?|||Probably, even the government gives tax benefits to people with children as opposed to people with no children.|||I think only the families of the 2 people may be expecting some grandchildren and be disappointed when they don't show up. I don't think anybody else cares one way or the other.|||Well, there is definitely pressure from families. Non-stop pressure! And there is a social expectation for married couples to have children. Heck, I remember being in my mid-twenties at a baby shower. I was single (never been married, no current boyfriend) and the only girl who was childless. I actually had people ask me if I didn't like children! Uh... never been married, dead end job... these seemed like good reasons to me to be strict about using birth control, lol! But apparently not to those girls :(





Anyhow... at work, I have noticed that people with children seem to call off work all the time with the excuse that the kid is sick ~ and no one ever questions. But if a person has a non-child reason for calling off work, that reason definately get scrutinized more. (I'm a nurse, BTW)





Yeah, I do feel there is a bias against childless couples. These are just a few of my personal examples.|||I feel this bias. My husband have been together for 14 years, married for 8 and have no children. People make rude comments to me like, "Oh, you must love money more than kids." I've been told by a Gospel preacher that we are going to Hell because God only recognizes marriages that produce more children for his Kingdom!





We struggled with infertility for a few years before fully accepting it, but I don't tell everybody that part. When I do tell people that I can't have kids, most people then get angry that I won't try fertility treatments! People have yelled at me that it is my responsibility to have kids. I just never understand those reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment