Saturday, December 17, 2011

Why do we choose our favorites? Is it possible that we respect one area over another due to a personal bias?

Here's the whole question:





Why do we choose our favorites? Is it possible that we respect one area over another due to a personal bias? If so, how can we identify these biases?





This is a theoretical question I came across. I thought it was interesting. Let me know what you think.|||Of course a lot of our favorite things are based on Personal Bias. I am a Star Trek fan and I prefer certain characters over others. One character I don't like at all because she's a shrink and I don't like shrinks. I prefer certain male characters partly because of the way they look and how that compares to what physical traits I look for in a guy. My 2 favorite movies are my favorites because 1 of them has my favorite actor and the other is one of the best romance movies I've ever seen (I am a hopeless romantic).





Although, I don't think all of our favorites are based on that. My favorite food is my favorite because we use to eat it all the time and it just tasted really good.





I am a huge Sci-Fi fan, but I can't tell you why that's my favorite. I like action shows and supernatural shows, but I hate the legal shows and avoid the shows that take place in a hospital (because of the blood :-q). I find the legal shows boring. Action, supernatural shows, and Sci-Fi shows are interesting to me, but I can't explain.|||We choose our favorites because there something special to it as compared to the others. Favorite is an expression or an emotional feeling of likeness to a particular or specific person or thing. The bias naturally flows when others have seen or felt it from you. It is them who makes the external judgment because bias is an influence where a person keeps on doing on a particular person.





Favorites maybe of a personal choice of a person. It is a showmanship of character of a person. The bias in there is somewhat permanent and very personal to a person. An example of which is the color you choose.|||i would think its more a case of preference, then bias, we like certain things, that doesnt need to diminish other things,


i like strawberries, i like strawberry ice-cream, i am not biased towards chocolate,|||We choose purely by instinct. We then use our mental capacity to find ways to justify our choices. So yes we absolutely choose based on biases.





Remember the scene from The Matrix Reloaded, when the Oracle says to Neo, "You didn't come here to make a choice, you've already made it. You're here to understand why you made it." He made a choice by instinct. Now he needed to get to why he made the choice. This was part of the process of freeing his mind from the restrictions of reason so he could find a creative solution to the problem of ending the war.





People will avoid choosing a path that will lead to their death, even if by their death they could save all of humanity from destruction.





Our biasis are what causes racial discrimination as well -- the decision was made long before the given situation developed.|||That you recognize that our likes and dislikes are choices, puts you miles ahead of the average individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment